[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Sat Nov 17 06:42:39 MST 2007

Fred and Richard,
Couldn't we combine these two very good and valid approaches by testing
following a given class. Maybe not at the end of class but maybe take the
class then the next period take the test. Or maybe take a two period class
and then the next period the test. In other words cirriculum based knowledge
and skill testing. This would relieve the Testing Com from havng to develop
an expensive and time consuming procedure that would have to be learned by
the Examiners. I don't think they have the time or energy for this anyway.
Am I right Israel? Alan?  Testing could be administered having been
standardized by consultation with the Test Com and instructors trained to
give the tests following the classes that they have given.
This is alot like what is done by the auto industry in cooperation with
local community colleges to acquire their certificates in brakes, heating
systems, etc.
It seems to me that this is alot like what happens in a college situation
anyway.
This I believe is also adaptable to skills like stabilizing unisons with a
little creativity applied. Fred, what do you see as the supporting
cirriculum for this and other "real world" skills you would like to test
for?
I think an important aspect will be to have a procedure for cirriculum and
testing that can be applied to all future "Certificate of Endorsement" as
well and I think this actually what Dale is suggesting, having had many
conversations with him before and after the convention meeting. (If
necessary feel free to chime in DP)
If this is agreeable we should take this into committee ASAP.
Just throwing some ideas into the air.
Chris Solliday, nervp
Board Liason CAUTCom