[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Nov 17 15:34:18 MST 2007

On 11/17/07 6:42 AM, "Chris Solliday" <csolliday at rcn.com> wrote:

> Fred and Richard,
> Couldn't we combine these two very good and valid approaches by testing
> following a given class. Maybe not at the end of class but maybe take the
> class then the next period take the test. Or maybe take a two period class
> and then the next period the test. In other words cirriculum based knowledge
> and skill testing. This would relieve the Testing Com from havng to develop
> an expensive and time consuming procedure that would have to be learned by
> the Examiners. I don't think they have the time or energy for this anyway.
> Am I right Israel? Alan?  Testing could be administered having been
> standardized by consultation with the Test Com and instructors trained to
> give the tests following the classes that they have given.
> This is alot like what is done by the auto industry in cooperation with
> local community colleges to acquire their certificates in brakes, heating
> systems, etc.
> It seems to me that this is alot like what happens in a college situation
> anyway.
> This I believe is also adaptable to skills like stabilizing unisons with a
> little creativity applied. Fred, what do you see as the supporting
> cirriculum for this and other "real world" skills you would like to test
> for?
> I think an important aspect will be to have a procedure for cirriculum and
> testing that can be applied to all future "Certificate of Endorsement" as
> well and I think this actually what Dale is suggesting, having had many
> conversations with him before and after the convention meeting. (If
> necessary feel free to chime in DP)
> If this is agreeable we should take this into committee ASAP.
> Just throwing some ideas into the air.
> Chris Solliday, nervp
> Board Liason CAUTCom
Hi Chris,
    I guess I could see the possibility of creating a testing (presumably
written? Maybe actually demonstrating?) program parallel with developing a
core curriculum. I don't really like the idea of "instant regurgitation"
(test right after the class), though. It would focus too much on short term
memory. Better to have a time lapse, and test on the whole core curriculum
or portions comprising more than one class, at a later date, I think. In
which case, creation of a series of handouts going along with the core
classes, available for study, would make a lot of sense. It would also help
make it possible for different people to take up classes and offer them.
    The specific example you raise about stabilizing unisons: well, what I
want to test for is not an ability learned during the last hour, but one
that has been developed over time. Tuning a whole piano in real time,
leaving all the unisons stable and clean. It's something that takes months
or years to learn. I'm not sure everyone gets there. I don't like to
recommend anybody before I know they have these chops. The RPT tuning test
doesn't address them adequately, IMO. Hence, I think we need a tuning skills
test. I really think we need it as an organization, not just for caut, but
if the organization isn't willing and able to do it, I think we should jump
into that breach, because an endorsement without that skill is pretty empty.
It's a very basic part of what we do.
    But, hey, that's just one crazy man's pet hobbyhorse <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico