[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Nov 17 14:20:24 MST 2007

A perfect reaction Kent.  Yes !! Indeed.

Dale does touch on a couple key issues about the whole CAUT
certification discussion.  First and foremost he, as do you, point out
that affirmative action does indeed pay off. Sure its an uphill battle,
but slowly but surely one makes an impact.  I believe this echos
something I stated very early on in all this when I said something along
the lines that I thought the PTG and CAUT were doing an amazing job
against a loosing battle.  Perhaps the impact made is after all worth
enough to keep on keeping on.  I certainly hope so.

And it is just in that same spirit of positiveness that I believe a
"specialty" certification, as Dale puts it, can succeed.  Again... slow
steps. But steps none the less.  CAUT salaries and job conditions will
improve slowly, but surely as institutions begin to see the cost
effectiveness of using someone who actually IS qualified and motivated
to do the job.... to take on the actual task at hand.  Dennis Johnson
also makes a good point which I wish to quote:

    "Imagine this accreditation being listed as part qualification for a
    particular school to join the list of "Steinway Schools" - or to
    engage in the Yamaha or Kawai loan programs."

It is just this kind of attention we should be after in any CAUT
certification.  To accomplish that any certification will just plain
need to be a mark of Quality that becomes recognized. Associating it
with already recognized programs such as the three mentioned above is no
dumb idea IMB.

Some very fine stuff written this past couple days.

Cheers
RicB

        On Nov 17, 2007, at 11:39 AM, Ward & Probst, Inc wrote:

         > That will be what changes our marketplace - quality work and
         > accurate marketing.

    Yes!

    Dale touches on something very important that has yet to come up much
    in the discussion. An accomplishment of the PTG in 50 years has been
    to raise the general quality of piano service that is available in the
    marketplace. And of course the effort is ongoing; RPT means more today
    because of the tuning and technical exams with their objective
    measures of tuning and tech ability compared with PTG's early years.

    One goal of any certification program for CAUTs should be to improve
    the general overall quality of work done by institutional techs. We
    all know techs here and there that have been unsuccessful in CAUT
    work. To the extent that a CAUT credential can improve the success
    rate of CAUTs, institutions will receive better work, CAUTs will enjoy
    more job satisfaction, the credibility of PTG will be improved --
    everyone should benefit. Perhaps even CAUT salaries will improve; we
    can tell techs not to take low-paying jobs, but one of the best thing
    we can do is to get our act together and offer as a group better
    skills. I suspect that one thing "keeping us down" is the reality that
    some CAUTs don't do work of high enough quality; perhaps once PTG has
    better identified and taught  the skills of the successful CAUT, fewer
    under-qualified techs will take CAUT positions.

    This is an important discussion.

    Kent Swafford