[CAUT] Downbearing Error

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 19 12:04:56 MST 2007

Hi Jon.

Alloquots is an option... but I'd need 5 mm + to let off enough.
Besides... it would look all wrong on this piano.

Cant shim the pinblock... its mortised into the case. I could shim the
detachable capo for the two top sections.  But the tenor section and
bass will have to see the bridge surface lowered.

I'm looking for the best advice as to how to proceed with lowering a
bridge surface with bridge pin holes already drilled.  I suppose there
is no way around plugging and redrilling ?... but perhaps I can get away
with just plugging the front ones ?  The strings angle from the hitch
pin pretty much extends on the bridge surface.  Then the string
straightens out and is darned near level to the front termination.

Cheers
RicB

    Since the backscale is long, why not install alloquots?
    Or maybe easier than bridge reworking is to let down
    all the tension and shim under the ends of the pin block

    Regards,

    Jon Page