[CAUT] Bridge pin size

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 20 14:59:22 MST 2007

If looking at many other pianos is any indication then I would imagine
there is not a lot of agreement on any criteria.  I see pianos with lots
of different pin sizes... some with all big, some with all small...
different materials... etc etc etc.

I would think.... tho this is just conjecture... that a large size would
be stiffer and less likely to contribute to a condition of bridge /
bridge-pin springyness to the string... i.e. a stiffer pin would work
against  false beats developing over time.

Cheers
RicB

    What is criteria for determining bridge pin size? I had Arledge
    rescale and change the 7 wound trichords on the transition bridge (Old
    Knabe upright) to bi chords. I feel I should up the size of the pin to
    an 8.

    My guess would be the diameter of the wire in proportion to the
    diameter of the pin or the bend it has to make.

    Keith Roberts