[CAUT] Soundboard mass

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 21 01:39:37 MST 2007

So... coming in from the top is recommended by Del.  I'm curious as to
why Ron then finds it unfavorable to drill into his laminated or for
that matter any type of bridge.  Surely if coming in from the top has no
functional backdraw it allows for the greatest ease and most specific of
placements.

 I've found that attaching one single large vice-grips is not the same
thing as attaching three or four very small ones.  I havent spent a lot
of time on this, but it would seem likely that finding localities for
several smaller mass additions would be desirable to attaching just
one.  Something about distribution of mass just intuitively seems to
make sense.

If visuals are a big deal here.... I shouldnt think  it really would be
a big problem to  put a thin veneer over the top. Might allow you to fix
deep string grooves caused by excessive string seating as well.

Cheers
RicB

    You can do that, but there is a (probably) easier and (certainly)
    more effective
    method.

    Remove a few strings around the affected area. Drill into the top of
    the bridge
    with a bit sized just a bit larger than a used lead key weight.
    (Careful, don't
    drill down into the bridge pins.) Epoxy bed the leads, including a
    bit of epoxy
    over the top. I mix in a small amount of graphite powder to make the
    mixture
    nice and black but still reasonably viscous. After the epoxy has
    cured scrape
    the surface flat and touch up with a graphite rub if necessary.

    If you've not blacked the tops of the bridges mix in various fresco
    powders to
    color the epoxy to match the color of the bridge. Yes, it can be
    seen but so
    what?

    Put the strings back on and try it out. You'll notice a definite
    increase in
    sustain, a decrease in the percussive pop at hammer strike and
    (probably) a
    decrease in false strings.

    This is basically the method I've been describing in my various
    classes for some
    twenty plus years now. I do keep trying all those new methods I hear
    and/or read
    about but I keep going back. I find it lots easier and more
    effective than
    drilling all those holes down through the bellyrail, etc.

    You'll find, by the way, that to achieve the same result you'll only
    need about
    half the mass that would be required if it were attached to the
    bottom of the
    soundboard. Ease up to the desired amount and don't over do things
    by going to
    far.

    Del