[CAUT] Soundboard mass

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 17:04:25 MST 2007

Speaking of mass loading (and maybe a bit of stiffness too), I recently
rebuilt a 1917 M for a customer who did not want to change the board.  It
was marginal but holding together.  Somewhat percussive sounding in the
treble with 8-9 seconds of sustain at A6.  Since the plate seemed to dip in
the capo section and along with it the bridge height and the bearing, I
decided to increase the bridge height through the capo section by 3 mm from
27 to 30 mm.  It created a bit of a step underneath the strut at the
capo/agraffe break but recapping the entire piano wasn't an option.  It
required shimming the aliquots up to adjust the bearing and I did remove all
bridge pins, recut and renotch and reshape the capo bar (standard treatment)
and increased the bridge pin size from #6 to #7 in the capo section.  Now
that the piano is strung I'm pleasantly surprised at the improvement.  (BTW,
I did not do an epoxy treatment on the board).  The sustain in the lower
capo section increased to about 12 seconds at A6.  There doesn't seem to be
any problem with the transition between the agraffe section and the capo
section.  I did rescale the piano by overall and change the speaking lengths
in the capo section where I did the new cap.

Anyway, I'm wondering if others have done similar things with similar
outcomes or found that bridges below a certain height simply don't have
enough mass without some help.  Further, with a certain minimum bridge
height does mass loading become unnecessary?  I've often wondered if the
early Steinways with bridges under 30 mm in the treble (and sometimes well
under) don't compromise those areas by virtue of inadequate height and
therefore both mass and stiffness to begin with.

Moreover, is there what one would consider an ideal bridge height?

BTW Ronsen Bacon hammers with plenty of power (after a more refined filing
in the treble) and warmth!  No lacquer, no plastic!

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com