[CAUT] Soundboard mass

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 21 14:01:20 MST 2007

> Even with the Wapin bridge arrangement you might still be able to avoid drilling
> all those big holes through the bellyrail.

All those holes amount to maybe three, and they don't have to
be all that big. I find 5/8" handy to work (and see) through
and not apparently structurally detrimental, but anything a
screwdriver will fit through will work.

> Would this work --
> Locate the points where you want the weights and drill a small, appropriately
> sized hole down through the bridge and out the bottom of the soundboard. This
> hole will be approximately 1/8" in diameter (I don't remember the exact size but
> the hole is sized to fit the socket set screw you're going to use). Then run a
> socket set screw -- say, about a #10-24 by about 1 1/2" or 2" -- down from the
> top of the bridge until it extends out from the bottom of the board by about
> 1/2" or so. Drill and tap your brass weight accordingly and screw it on.
>
> I make my weights out of hex brass stock. You can usually reach in and screw
> them on tight with an open end wrench.
>
> Del

I don't know about you, but my fingers aren't anywhere near
long, thin, and flexible enough to do that in the top octave
and a half. This sort of thing is one of those many times I've
needed a very strong trained gerbil. Meanwhile, it's holes in
the belly rail for me, and there have been times that barely
worked.
Ron N