[CAUT] Soundboard mass

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed Nov 21 13:17:16 MST 2007

Even with the Wapin bridge arrangement you might still be able to avoid drilling
all those big holes through the bellyrail.

Would this work --
Locate the points where you want the weights and drill a small, appropriately
sized hole down through the bridge and out the bottom of the soundboard. This
hole will be approximately 1/8" in diameter (I don't remember the exact size but
the hole is sized to fit the socket set screw you're going to use). Then run a
socket set screw -- say, about a #10-24 by about 1 1/2" or 2" -- down from the
top of the bridge until it extends out from the bottom of the board by about
1/2" or so. Drill and tap your brass weight accordingly and screw it on.

I make my weights out of hex brass stock. You can usually reach in and screw
them on tight with an open end wrench.

Del