[CAUT] 1850's Pleyel Grand

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 26 15:46:43 MST 2007

The Journal is running an extended series on understanding and restoring
19th century pianos.
Conservators have special techniques for working on pianos like this, and
they are going to share some of them with us.
Epoxy consolidation of a pinblock, for example, is much easier than removing
and replacing a mortised block.
I hope you will wait a few months to learn about this.
It is helpful, in fact crucial to develop a collegial relationship with
someone who specializes in dealing with
"pre-modern" instruments.  The "snuff" you try to bring it up to should be
the "snuff" it was made for.
Note, for example, the description of the sustain on Chopin's piano in the
Times link from Linda Strahle.  In her articles on 18th and 19th century
pianos Anne Acker has given descriptions of the relationship between the
sound of historic instruments and the interpretation of music written for
those pianos.

Ed Sutton