[CAUT] 1850's Pleyel Grand

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 27 19:37:08 MST 2007

Hi Ric,
    I'll just reiterate a bit of the point I was trying to make: it isn't
just the difference in sound produced by the belly and scaling (though that
is very important). It is also the difference in response felt by the
pianist. I find certain tendencies of many who do "action re-design"
following "Stanwood principles" rather disturbing. There is often a
knee-jerk decision to go for, say, a "5.5 action ratio," with a
corresponding decision to go for fairly heavy hammers. The heavy hammers are
chosen because of a prejudice towards "wanting more fundamental" or
something of that sort, and then the ratio tags along since otherwise you
will have too much mass and corresponding inertia. Result: an even vanilla
spectrum of pianos, rather than the variety that used to be so inspiring.
    I am very much in favor of having an array of hammer weight and action
ratio to choose from. I suppose some will say that has to be matched to the
belly and scaling, and probably they are at least somewhat correct. Though I
understand that early (late 19th century) Steinway had heavy board and
scaling with much lighter hammers than today. I don't think there is
anywhere near a complete understanding of the interactions of all these
things.
    At any rate, I am just speaking up for retaining, or at least
considering retaining, high action ratio where it is found. Which does, of
course, mean matching hammer mass to make it work.
    And you say the customer pretty much wants it the way it is, so this
"advice" isn't going to make any difference. But I thought I'd air the ideas
a bit anyway.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico