[CAUT] Copyright

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:05:54 MST 2007

Hi Jurgen,

Interesting question, but, there is something you forgot. We were directed to a website where that news was. There is nothing wrong with sending someone to a particular website. Now, if you were to copy the text or the website and make it appear to be you own, then I think you could get in trouble. But now with websites, I think the copyrights could be extremely hard to defend (read to sue).

I guess it probably would be illegal and wrong to copy the whole article and put it in a newspaper that would be sold without paying dues to the original author. But to report the content by saying for example: "Hey guys, guess what? Yamaha just bought Bösendorfer.", I don't see that you would be doing anything wrong or unlawfull.

There must be new rules with internet content. I thought that as soon as something was publicly available on the net, legal rights were different.

But then I could be wrong too.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC