[CAUT] Work Sharp

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Aug 5 09:51:45 MDT 2008

Hi Paul,
	The difference between removing material with a wheel and with a belt
is enormous. The belt dissipates heat, where the wheel builds it up.
With the belt, going through the grits, you can get the very final
honing done, the part we usually do on a bench stone by hand. Fast! No
heat to speak of. No way you could get to that point with a wheel, at
least not any wheel I have tried. The final hone is always by hand
using a wheel. And then you add the leather belt strop and you can go
even farther than you could do on a fine stone by hand. Again, fast!
Doing some fine chisel or plane work, leave the leather belt on the
machine and strop for a few seconds every few minutes of work. As
opposed to spending almost as much time and effort sharpening as
cutting with the tool.
	I guess with coarser grits, removing a bunch of material (say,
correcting a bad bevel), you might dip into a glass of water from time
to time, but for most use heat really isn't an issue. So the RPMs
really are irrelevant. Or not in the way you would expect. Try it,
you'll like it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico