[CAUT] Work Sharp

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Aug 5 10:59:28 MDT 2008

Fred, et.al.;

I read up on the wapin web site about the SurgiSharp and I'm getting very
interested in it.  I will see one up in South Dakota on Thursday.  Who
knows, maybe I'll come home with one ;>)

PW

Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
08/05/2008 10:58 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Work Sharp

Hi Paul,
The difference between removing material with a wheel and with a belt is
enormous. The belt dissipates heat, where the wheel builds it up. With the
belt, going through the grits, you can get the very final honing done, the
part we usually do on a bench stone by hand. Fast! No heat to speak of. No
way you could get to that point with a wheel, at least not any wheel I
have tried. The final hone is always by hand using a wheel. And then you
add the leather belt strop and you can go even farther than you could do
on a fine stone by hand. Again, fast! Doing some fine chisel or plane
work, leave the leather belt on the machine and strop for a few seconds
every few minutes of work. As opposed to spending almost as much time and
effort sharpening as cutting with the tool.
I guess with coarser grits, removing a bunch of material (say, correcting
a bad bevel), you might dip into a glass of water from time to time, but
for most use heat really isn't an issue. So the RPMs really are
irrelevant. Or not in the way you would expect. Try it, you'll like it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu