[CAUT] Piano truck for six legs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Aug 12 15:23:41 MDT 2008

> We have a institutional piano with six legs and they want a
> piano truck for it.  It will be rolled around on the stage
> some. I have thought about just using six of the 4 wheel
> dollies or modifying a 3 legged piano truck by adding a
> cross piece to support the extra legs. It would be welded
> on. It is a small Packard grand. Any ideas of comments
> would be welcome.
>
> Thanks, Bob Hull

Sorry Bob, I didn't get this answered the first time. I did
one for a church once. They wanted something as cheap as
possible, naturally, and didn't much care how it looked, so I
did the cheapest, quickest addition I thought of at the time.
Salvage yard steel box, about 2"x3", about 14 gage or so (not
very heavy). I hole sawed holes in the ends for the legs to
set in, and one in the middle for access to the attach bolt
and drilled a hole in the bottom the size of the bolt. With
the legs in the holes (on bolts to keep them off the side of
the hole) the sides of the box came 2" up the leg, but the
height of the piano wasn't raised over what a conventional
install would have given them. Looked a little different, but
it worked fine. I didn't cap the ends, for cost savings.

One approach.
Ron N