[CAUT] Piano truck for six legs

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 02:11:36 MDT 2008

Hi, Bob, and Colleagues -

You could use a regular Colson stage dolly with custom-made replacements  for
the square leg sockets.  Probably easiest and cheapest would be to get  some
steel channel from your local steel supply house or from a welder or steel
fabrication shop.  "C 3 x 4.1" is the smallest standard size; that's 3  inches
wide and 4.1 lbs. per foot.  Flanges are about 1 3/8 inches and web  thickness
is about 3/16".  Have the shop cut three pieces long enough to  hold a pair of
the piano's 'feet' and weld end pieces on the channels to keep  the pair of
legs captured.  Have the shop drill and countersink a hole same  as in the
original square leg sockets.

Using six of the tricycle casters might not be so good.  Unless the  floor is
everywhere flat they will be forever rattling.  And they don't  provide
anywhere near the protection to the legs afforded by the stage  dolly.

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 476-7072

In a message dated 8/12/2008 5:23:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

>  We have a institutional piano with six legs and they want a
> piano  truck for it.  It will be rolled around on the stage
> some. I have  thought about just using six of the 4 wheel
> dollies or modifying a 3  legged piano truck by adding a
> cross piece to support the extra legs.  It would be welded
> on. It is a small Packard grand. Any ideas of  comments
> would be welcome.
>
> Thanks, Bob  Hull

Sorry Bob, I didn't get this answered the first time. I did
one for a church once. They wanted something as cheap as
possible,  naturally, and didn't much care how it looked, so I
did the cheapest,  quickest addition I thought of at the time.
Salvage yard steel box, about  2"x3", about 14 gage or so (not
very heavy). I hole sawed holes in the  ends for the legs to
set in, and one in the middle for access to the  attach bolt
and drilled a hole in the bottom the size of the bolt. With
the legs in the holes (on bolts to keep them off the side of
the hole)  the sides of the box came 2" up the leg, but the
height of the piano  wasn't raised over what a conventional
install would have given them.  Looked a little different, but
it worked fine. I didn't cap the ends, for  cost savings.

One approach.
Ron  N

Read reviews on AOL Autos.