[CAUT] ketop replacement

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 09:14:41 MDT 2008

Hi Paul,

I just replaced a set with the German "off-white" from Pianotek.  I chose to use them because the piano was from the 1920's with a rubbed mahogony finish.  The bright white was too brilliant.  The tops were just enough off, a slight cream color, to work well with the satin ebony sharps.  The client was well pleased with the outcome.  We also looked at the Vagias satin Ivory from Schaff.  They did not seem to be as scratch resistant but do look more like ivory and have a bit of depth due to the grained translucent finish.   Unless you have the time and inclination, I would outsource due to the filing at the sharp notch.

Henry Nicolaides
www.precisionpianotuning.net

To: caut at ptg.orgFrom: pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.eduDate: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:51:55 -0500Subject: [CAUT] ketop replacementHi All, One of our Steinway D's has very yellowed plastic keytops.  They appear to be original, but I've never seen keytops this far off white. They look like the piano's been a smoker for 30 years! The new interim director of the performing arts center wants to have me replace them (or I may choose to out-source it).  She said she also didn't like the real bright white keytops.  Pianotek offers a few that are light cream, and slightly off-white. Could somebody post a photo of either or both styles? I'd like to see how 'light' the cream is.  Better yet, if somebody wants to send me a sample one, I'd return it after showing it to the director for approval....or do you think Pianotek would do this? Thanks in advance. Paul