[CAUT] ketop replacement

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 11:59:04 MDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Dr. Henry Nicolaides
<drsnic4 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I just replaced a set with the German "off-white" from Pianotek.  I chose
> to use them because the piano was from the 1920's with a rubbed mahogony
> finish.  The bright white was too brilliant.  The tops were just enough off,
> a slight cream color, to work well with the satin ebony sharps.  The client
> was well pleased with the outcome.  We also looked at the Vagias satin Ivory
> from Schaff.  They did not seem to be as scratch resistant but do look more
> like ivory and have a bit of depth due to the grained translucent finish.
>  Unless you have the time and inclination, I would outsource due to the
> filing at the sharp notch.
>
> Henry Nicolaides
> www.precisionpianotuning.net
>

> ------------------------------
>
> To: caut at ptg.org
> From: pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:51:55 -0500
> Subject: [CAUT] ketop replacement
>

> Hi All,
>
> One of our Steinway D's has very yellowed plastic keytops.  They appear to
> be original, but I've never seen keytops this far off white. They look like
> the piano's been a smoker for 30 years! The new interim director of the
> performing arts center wants to have me replace them (or I may choose to
> out-source it).  She said she also didn't like the real bright white
> keytops.  Pianotek offers a few that are light cream, and slightly
> off-white. Could somebody post a photo of either or both styles? I'd like to
> see how 'light' the cream is.  Better yet, if somebody wants to send me a
> sample one, I'd return it after showing it to the director for
> approval....or do you think Pianotek would do this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Paul
>
> ------------------------------
> Get more from your digital life. Find out how.<http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008>

Hi Paul,

I just replaced a set with those same german keytops w/fronts in the light
cream from pianotech on a 1919 Baldwin and am very pleased with the results.
Except for the notches at the sharps they needed very little trimming.

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com