[CAUT] Position Announcement, SIU, Carbondale, IL

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Aug 17 10:15:52 MDT 2008

On Aug 16, 2008, at 9:16 PM, Bob Hull wrote:

> How is this different from what the unions do?  How did the
> automobile manufacturing unions get to the pay and benefit levels
> they have?  It was by banding together.   But, there will always,
> always be someone who will do the job for less.   Think about the
> walmartization of America! "Let's shop for the cheapest product and
> not worry about the quality."
>
> Bob Hull

	Yes, I think there is a distinction between the independent "piano
technician as business" and the "piano technician as employee." While
the Sherman antitrust act (which is as contrary to the fundamental
principles of American democracy as anything I can imagine, but it is
the law of the land, upheld by supreme court decisions) does prohibit
us from "conspiring to set prices" as independents, I believe labor
laws exempt people in an employee relationship from those strictures
(unions are not defined as "trusts" or are, at any rate, defined as a
specific exception). Not that I am an expert in this area of law, but
that is certainly my impression.
	In which case, it _would_ be possible for piano technicians to form a
union in relationship to employers (ie, full and part time employers,
not per service). Not practical, but possible. And it is certainly
legal to the best of my understanding to converse in any way we want
about salaries. About tuning fees and other pricing structures for
independents, that's where we can get into trouble.
	Again, I'm no expert, but I do try to pay attention <G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu