[CAUT] Position Announcement, SIU, Carbondale, IL (Fred Sturm)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 17 12:22:33 MDT 2008

At 11:00 AM 8/17/2008, Fred Sturm wrote,

>Yes, I think there is a distinction between the independent "piano
>technician as business" and the "piano technician as employee.

Yes, Fred. You got it right. Employees have a right under US law to
organize and to bargain collectively with employers for matters
involving compensation and conditions of employment. The "restraint
of trade" legislation (under several Federal anti-trust laws) does
not applied to employees receiving wages, who are governed by labor
law - not business law. It does apply to business people who charge
per service. Just because we piano technicians act as business people
when servicing private clients on a fee-per-service basis does not
prevent us from engaging in collective bargaining tactics when
dealing with prospective employers who wish to hire us as employees.
Applying for - or refusing to apply for - jobs is a not business
activity - it is labor activity. US labor law deals with
employee-employer relations, not business law. Now, if the university
were looking for independent contractors - that would be a different
story... Here all that price-fixing and restraint of trade
legislation applies.

Israel Stein