[CAUT] "antique" pianos?

Greg Granoff gjg2 at humboldt.edu
Mon Aug 18 14:57:50 MDT 2008

I strongly second Alan's remarks--this is something you should definitely
talk to Bill Schull about.  He gave a fascinating, very eye-opening talk on
this subject at Dale Erwin's shop recently, and has a lot to say on the
subject.  And no, Steinway would not be interested (go figure!) in this
piano except as something perhaps to update to "modern" standards in their
restoration shop.  Bill is exploring--blazing a trail is more like it-- on
the whole issue of obsolete vs modern design and the business of conserving
vs restoration or "modernizing" and what this means for a dwindling stock of
examples of original instruments from this period.

Greg Granoff  RPT
Humboldt State University