[CAUT] "antique" pianos?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 18 19:16:07 MDT 2008

	You might also consult Ken Eschete.
	I don't know how to get at "antique value" for pianos. It certainly
seems that there ought to be some degree of antique value at some
point, but where can we get a handle on it? (Looking at the kind of
old "junk" people purchase and show off in their homes, alongside
finely executed old furniture, makes it clear that there is demand for
the old and well made, and old pianos certainly fill that bill). I
have always tended to appraise pianos "as a musical instrument," and
told customers that antique value if any is outside my expertise.
	Monetary value is a function of market and demand - willingness to
pay. How do we get at that? Are there antique folks who would have a
handle on the sales of old pianos?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico