[CAUT] S&S hammer flange rail material and cheap mylar

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 18 19:03:04 MDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Alan McCoy wrote:

> I've used a variety of materials for this application. I'm about to
> put on
> another set of S&F and wanted to hear what other techs are using.
> I've been
> searching the fabric stores to find a good material with no success
> yet. I'm
> thinking wool or cotton with some body to it. The strips from S&S
> are $8
> each. Being cheap, I'd like to be able to do 5 actions for $8 and
> figure I
> can do that if I find the right fabric.

	A strip of normal woven fabric would probably be problematic for this
application: it tend to like to stretch and bunch. A ribbon material
(like stringing braid) with a complex weave is better: it will lay
down better and hold shape better. I don't know what fabric stores
have in that line, but there was a pretty good variety in the ribbon
department last time I walked by (looking for needles and grommets and
whatnot).
	BTW, speaking of stringing braid, I notice that old (as recent as
60's for Steinway) quality pianos used a wool braid. I have never seen
anything commercially from piano supply houses except cotton, which
seems like it doesn't damp as well. Does anyone carry wool stringing
braid?

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico