[CAUT] Position Announcement, SIU, Carbondale, IL

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:19:30 MDT 2008

I would like to add a bit of perspective to the discussion about the
job posting at SIUC.  The salary quoted is misleading and has caused
a flurry of emails.  Please note that the State of Illinois requires
the university by law to advertise the lowest possible salary when
posting a job search.  Although the figure posted is in fact their
minimum, the actual salary is quite flexible and open to
negotiation.  It is unfortunate that the state mandates this policy
but it is a reality that SIUC has to comply with.

When their piano technician, Larry Reynolds, was killed in a tragic
car accident this May, I accepted a month long appointment at the
school to fill in for him.  The Southern Illinois Music Festival was
just a couple of weeks away and with 57 events taking place over a
200 mile radius in three weeks time, I was kept very busy.  I also
performed a lot of routine tuning and repair in the music building
during my month there.

I found the school, the university, and the town of Carbondale
extremely welcoming and a very positive experience.  The music
building is a piano technicians dream!  It is a beautiful, 100 plus
year old building, (it looks like a castle!) and just a few years ago
it was totally renovated.  The new HVAC system is amazing.  I have
never experienced a facility with better humidity and temperature
control, period, and the condition of the pianos showed it.  The
piano inventory is mostly newer instruments.  I didn't take the time
for a total inventory but almost every piano I encountered was a
Steinway, Baldwin, or Yamaha and considering the use and abuse that
pianos in a music school experience, in very acceptable condition.
One policy they have that is new for me is that the approximately 27
practice rooms are kept locked and students are issued keys.  I found
absolutely no vandalism or careless damage to pianos.

The faculty that I met were all very supportive and I got the
impression of extended family there.  Just an interesting side note,
they estimated that some 2,000 people went to Larry's visitation!
Every faculty member I met gushed with praise for him.  It was
obvious that he enjoyed complete support there at school.

The piano shop is a little small but well equipped.  It is a good
sized school with about 40-50 music faculty.  There are some very
nice performance venues and the main auditorium is next door and
connected to the music building.  It is also a very beautiful
building with two nice Baldwin SD-10's.  Their new Steinway D lives
in the music building but one of the Baldwin's is so nice that
Emanuel Ax chose it over the Steinway in a recent performance there.
I personally prepared both of the Baldwins for the Mozart double
piano concerto and the pianists loved them!

I could go on but the point I would like to make is this, this is
actually a nice opportunity for someone at SIUC.  If you know anyone
that might be interested, I would encourage you to recommend checking
this out.  The official wording of the job posting may read like they
want the world's most experienced tech to work for peanuts but please
remember that everything is negotiable to some extent.  Not only the
salary but the experience requirements.  This would be a really good
job for someone with good skills but maybe not the years of experience.

Although the life of a CAUT may not be for everyone, I am extremely
happy with my position here at OU and would recommend it to a like
minded tuner.  Yes, a self employed tech in a larger city can make
much more than I do but I would not be happy doing that.  I really
enjoy being in a small town but working for a larger university.  I
love the benefits that I have, not the least of which is a tuition
deferment.  My second of four kids will be a freshman here this
fall.  And, I have as much outside work as I care to take.  My salary
is more than twice what it was when I started in 1991 and I am happy
with it.

If you know of anyone that might be interested in applying for this
gig, they are welcome to contact me.  I will answer any questions
that I am able to.

Chris

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
Registered Piano Technician