[CAUT] Position Announcement, 20 reasons why I like my job

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Aug 19 16:40:39 MDT 2008

Wow, Jim,

You've landed in Heaven.
On the negative:
I don't get free tuition for myself, I get 9 credits per year that I lose
if I don't use them.  I can transfer 6 of those to my wife or son (who
won't attend until 2015).  Still with no 'build up of credits, (that
really sucks!  Oberlin gets full tuition, so I'm told...) My shop doesn't
have capabilities to replace soundboards, bridges, or refinishing, no
outside projects allowed (so I'm told) in the shop.

On the positive:

Great people I work with,
Great security,
Great, and I mean great, retirement plan,
great medical and all that
steady salary ( I know... not enough)
flexible hours (again, I don't get to attend chuch much... but I make up
for it with private prayer time...after all it's all between you and God,
right?)  Church just helps sometimes...
I get great referrals for tunings, but have little time to do it.( I go 90
miles to tune the new Bluthner!  It's worth the trip!!!!)
I get to use the facitilies for PTG meetings and seminars and sometimes,
get positive work on some of my pianos!
My wife and I had our 15th anniversary last Thursday... I was able to
secure the main recital hall with that Baldwin D I've been talking about,
...gave her a personal recital on it with the stage dude giving the
"please turn off your cell phones and no photography allowed" recording
prior to.  That was cool!  I played several Chopin's and a Bach two-part
invention I hadn't played since I was 15!!!  She wondered why I had to
come down to work the last 2 weekends!!!!!!  AND, He made a CD without my
knowing!  She'll charish that forever... WHO can top that??!?
I'm still waiting for the wine and dine part!!!!!

Let's all try to get newby's at a better starting salary or get us some
more.... I'm stumped on how to better my paycheck!  I
shoulda..coulda..woulda...if I had any b@#$!!

Best,

Paul

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
08/19/2008 04:34 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Position Announcement, 20 reasons why I like my job

Chris,

Thanks for the “positive” perspective. I empathize with Jeff and agree
that CAUTs should make more, but for some of us this is an ideal job. (NOT
perfect, however!) While I was at the airport after the convention I was
lamenting/contemplating the fact that I could double my salary in the
private sector, but I came up with this list of reasons why I genuinely
like being a CAUT, at this stage in my life, at this university. You hit
on most of them, but here is the “list” I wrote off the top of my head;

1.       I genuinely like the faculty here. They are my friends. (If I
didn’t life would indeed be miserable…)
2.       The work environment is good. (Good shop, etc.)
3.       It is secure. (No fear of getting laid off!)
4.       My co-workers are good to work with (Keith Kopp, student
employees)
5.       Free tuition for myself and my wife.
6.       ½ tuition for my kids
7.       Great retirement plan
8.       Good medical plan
9.       A steady salary which I consider a “base” for everything. (This
seems to be the deal breaker for some, but all things considered this is
only ONE thing!)
10.   Freedom to have flexible hours (I work when I want)
11.   Freedom to tune outside and have my own rebuilding shop
12.   Referrals which come into the shop
13.   Being considered an “authority” because of my position (Seems petty,
but it’s nice to be “honored”, or have some clout)
14.   Use of facilities (We hold PTG meetings, etc. here and BYU lets us
use their equipment)
15.   Being able to buy new instruments, new equipment, tools and toys
16.   Being “wined and dined” by stores and manufacturers (It’s always
nice to be treated well, even though it is because they just want your
business ; - 0)
17.   Being sent to conventions and training seminars (on the Universities
nickel)
18.   Sick leave
19.   Vacation leave
20.   Recognition of service with awards for 5 years, 10, etc. (I got a
nice pair of binoculars for the 5 year)

So, not trying to totally discount the salary issue, which is big, I try
to dwell on these kind of things. Jeff has good points, and to be honest
if I had to work with bad co-workers, or with nasty faculty, or in a poor
facility, etc. etc. I guess I wouldn’t stay. For now, I have the best of
all possible worlds, only lacking the 6 digit income, but getting along
just fine, thank-you.

Jim Busby BYU