[CAUT] a prepared rant

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 14:08:15 MDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco at luther.edu>wrote:

> Paul T Williams wrote:
>

>> Conrad,
>>
>> I'd sure put a lock on it and when they come crying to you have a good
>> teaching session with them.  Does the faculty member in charge of these
>> people know about this?  Keep us up to date on this one.  Last year we had
>> some problems with students damaging dampers and rapping the plate with a
>> mallet.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Hallelujah! I stirred the pot and something already floated up to the
> surface!
>
> I just was visited by two students and we had what I think was a good
> discussion re: piano preparations.
>
> Thyme will tell, but I'm encouraged by what I saw and heard during the
> conversation.
>

> --
> Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
> Luther College, 700 College Dr., Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
> 1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076
>

> Remember that, while money talks,  CHOCOLATE SINGS!

Hi Conrad,

Be grateful you are at the collegiate level and can have good discussions
with students regarding piano prep.

I had a director, he has since earned his masters degree and is now an
administrator(I could comment here but withold it) who, refused to care for
or unplug the Dampp-Chaser system when moving the piano a Yamaha C3, when I
finally removed it the cord was 2 feet long.

Felt the new crack in the sound board gave the piano "character"!

Occasionally, Yes I caught him, used the Yamaha C3 grand to steady 2x4's as
he sawed through them.

Often sent his students, mostly male, unsupervised, out on the stage to
clean/clear it off while I was tuning for a concert to be held that evening.
Mnay times not his concert but guest artists for the concert association.

Frequently told me of his plans to take the summer tuning course at Shell
Lake, WI so he could tune the pianos whenever he wanted to without having to
budget money for it. I encouraged him to do so every time he said it!

Given this environment, respect for my work was non-existant except for some
students who were smarter than the director!

Mike
--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com