[CAUT] Just how much brilliance can a pianist make ?

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 22 16:17:22 MDT 2008

Ric Brekne wrote:
> BUT...  given the physical limitations of the piano I have to wonder
> something about just how much "brilliance" is in the grasp of players...
> and in particular if his hands, heavy tho they may be, should indeed be
> able to out power just about any other accomplished player.  The action
> will allow only so much hammer velocity yes ?  Is not top velocity and for
> that matter momentum within the reach of just about any very good player ?
> Just how strong do you have to be ?

I had a guest artist here once, from the same Russian tradition, who left me
a note reporting a buzz on a particular bass note "when struck with a hard
blow".

It had never buzzed before, and there had never been a complaint.  Five
minutes before the house opened, after I was unable to make the note buzz
with the strongest blow I could muster without breaking a finger, he came
out and demonstrated.  Yep.  There it was. A very loud buzz, and it was not
the sound of the string against the damper wire.  In fact, I immediately
wondered if it could possibly have been a string actually losing contact
with the top of the bridge and slapping on the bridge.  That is more like
what it sounded like it might have been.

Before I could think to hold my tongue, I blurted out, "you're going to
break it!"

After he left, I never could duplicate it in order to locate just what it
was.  I was afraid to try it too many times, or I might break it myself.

It seems to me that one's top brilliance tends to be relative to their
bottom, or vice versa, and it would make sense that it is related to the
overall energy transferred through the arms.  I don't particularly care to
hear fffffffortissimo the way it was demonstrated for me that day.  It was a
very unmusical sound, even had there not been a buzz, and it seemed to me to
be pushing beyond the design limitations of the instrument he was pounding
on.

But what does the technician know?

Y'all have a nice weekend.
Tanner