[CAUT] Just how much brilliance can a pianist make ?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Aug 23 07:38:23 MDT 2008

First thing is that everyone likes it different and you can get trapped
chasing each pianist's individual taste in voicing.  Many pianists,
especially in a concert situation, don't want to have to work too hard for
brilliance--especially through the treble.  Working too hard can compromise
relaxation in playing which ultimately produces the best and most resilient
tone including a fuller and rounder forte-fortissimo.  Acceleration, then,
is more a matter of controlling weight.  Bigger, beefier pianists will have
a somewhat easier time on a piano that is less brilliant.  More diminutive
players will have to add too much muscle which can compromise their playing
somewhat.  Most concert pianos are set up brighter than they would be were
that piano voiced for the living room.  In a concert situation you are more
concerned with how the piano sounds at row 20 than you are at the bench.
Young and inexperienced pianists often don't know that and often feel that
the power and brilliance of a piano set up for a hall is out of control.
Personally, I would rather err on the side of too much brilliance than the
other way as long as the piano is even and predictable.  Ultimately,
however, it's predictability that counts for the pianist.  As long as the
note they are about to play produces what they think it will produce before
they play it, they can manage just about anything.  The lack of
predictability is what drives them nuts--both in terms of touch and tone,
btw.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com