[CAUT] hammer thickness trimming jig

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 24 13:25:08 MDT 2008

> Of all the suggestions I've seen so far, Ed Foote's is the best and what
> I would do.  I don't think there is a need to send them back.  Want to
> buy my Sanding Disc Ron Nossman suggests  (tried several times and
> doesn't work as advertised)?

I don't have a 5" version, but I just tried it freehand (no
jig) on the edge of the drill press table with a 2" 60 grit
disc and it works just fine. Actually, 40 grit would probably
be better. Moved to near the center the square hung small
treble hammers also work just fine with the shank resting on
the table to keep them aligned. Why won't the 5" version work?

> I would also
> suggest using a micrometer to check consistency of thickness as you trim
> each side.
>
> Tim Coates

With the stop set on the drill press, that might prove
unnecessary beyond initial setup and spot checks.
Ron N