[CAUT] Plate cleaning

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 08:47:26 MDT 2008

I assume you are going to respray the plate.  If so wash it down with
lacquer thinner and then take a fine wire brush to the more contoured areas
and those that are more difficult to reach with a rag such as around the
hitch pins (good ventilation and a respirator, of course).  Fine sand and
fill the nicks and gauges, prime with an auto body primer and shoot with the
gold of your choice.   I don’t like putting caustics like TSP on the plate.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

I just pulled a plate from a Steinway M that is absolutely filthy.
What would be the best cleaning solution to use?

BTW;  I just tried Flitz for the first time.  I'll never go back to
Brasso :>)  What great stuff!!

Thanks

Paul T. Williams RPT
UNL