[CAUT] plate cleaning

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:40:27 MDT 2008

Hi List,

Thanks for all your suggestions.  Here is what I've done prior to reguilding.  Important to clean and degrease prior to any sanding so you do not rub in any thing that would interfere with finishes adhering.  I've used TSP, which by the way, is not the same product that it was in the 1980's.  I am not sure when they changes the formula, but its not as effective as it was.  I've literally "soaked" the plate with 409 and other cleaners.  One that I have used recently is called Greased Lightening.  If the plate was heavily soiled I have then pressure washed it which works well.  Wipe after drying with lacquer thinner.  Then fill if needed, prime, and sand.  If polishing the agraffes I will remove and plug the holes with small corks before spraying.

Henry Nicolaides
www.precisionpianotuning.net

email: drsnic4 at hotmail.com