[CAUT] Tonmeister, baccalaureate degrees, etc.

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 19:04:01 MDT 2008

Greetings, Colleagues -

When I was working at SUNY Fredonia School of Music, 'til '95, they had a
very good program in sound recording technology.  It was highly regarded  and
had very high entrance requirements.  Some of our best musicians were  in this
Tonmeister program, which was a baccalaureate degree with all the usual  core
requirements of other music major programs.

Yes, Prof. Owen Jorgensen developed a baccalaureate program in piano
technology at Michigan State University, College of Music. That ran from  the early
'70s until he retired in the early '90s.  I was privileged to be  a guinea pig
in his developing program in the late '60s.  The  degree program also had the
same core requirements as all the  other music majors.  I returned as a guest
lecturer in some of the classes  during and after my graduate studies (in
musicology: organology).  The  program was excellent, and a few of our most
esteemed colleagues came from  it.  However, it suffered from one defect in its
concept:   Eighteen-year-olds almost never enter college with dreams of becoming a
piano  technician!

When I lectured in the program, in the late '70s, early '80s, we had an
interesting mix of students.  Many of the students already had music  degrees,
even graduate degrees.  And some came from other walks of life; I  even had one
student who was a physician (M.D.)!  But we had relatively few  students who
entered - and stuck with - the program through its four-year  degree curriculum.
[ I think this must have been an important consideration  when MSU decided to
retire the program along with Jorgensen, its founder.]  I always felt the
program would "work" better if approached as a master's  degree curriculum, along
the lines of how Library Science is presented.   Prerequisite would probably
be an undergrad music degree, or liberal arts degree  with music emphasis.  I
hope someone picks up this ball and runs with  it!

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 476-7072

In a message dated 8/28/2008 7:28:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,