[CAUT] Tonmeister, baccalaureate degrees, etc.

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 20:29:47 MDT 2008

I think Tom hit the nail on the head with his comment, "Eighteen-year-olds almost never enter college with dreams of becoming a piano technician!"  If you look at the median age of our profession, which I believe is in the high 50's, it's not because there are so many who've been at it for 40 years, but because for most of us, piano tuning is a second, or even third profession. Looking back, when I entered the field full time at age 32, I was probably one of the younger ones attending classes.

At one of the conventions, or maybe it was at a seminar, there was a discussion about having a booth at high school job fairs. But the question was, would there be enough interest to make it worth someone's while to sit there for a day? Are there enough young people interested in going into this field?  In my 32 years in this business, I might have been approached maybe once or twice by a high school student. And even that was more or less as curiosity, not as something that they really wanted to pursue. When I was at UA, I had  PTG brochure about piano tuning on my bulletin board outside my office, and in 6 years, one person asked me about it, and he was from Cyprus.

Piano tuning is not a very popular profession, given the fact that, depending on who's figures you want to use, there are only between 10,000 and 20,000 full time piano tuners in this country. In many areas of the country, there isn't much room for too many more of them. So why
 would a CC or university want to invest in a piano tech program? There is a reason why those schools that did have a program have, discontinued it.

Jim, could you explain a little more about the school that's approached you about starting up a program? How are they planning on doing it, and why?

Wim