[CAUT] sostenuto

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 18:24:45 MST 2008

Good points but a few areas for extra attention:

>(If noise is heard from the blade contacting tabs as the sostenuto
>pedal is depressed, you may need to rest your finger on each damper
>in succession while depressing the sostenuto pedal to find the damper
>tabs that are making contact with the blade.)

No downwards pressure, lightly rest your finger so as not to press
the tab lower.

>Depress and continue to hold down the sostenuto pedal. Deliver a
>double-forte blow to every note that has a damper.

A little hard on both the fingers and the action. Why not depress the note and
and lift the damper head with your other hand to see if you can force the tab
to 'cheat'.

However, I have found that a visual inspection of blade insertion onto the tabs
at the ends and aligning them with a straight edge (fore& aft / up & down)
precludes slipping tabs. A light source from a flexible goose neck works well.

I fashioned one from a crank-charged flashlight for non-ending light
(jpg attached)
I reassigned the function of the center bulb. My next iteration will
have that shaft
to be a plug-in and not hard wired.  great for inspecting into the
action to check
key end/damper alignment and sos tabs, spinet hammer flange screw too.
--

Regards,

Jon Page