[CAUT] Sostenuto

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee at humboldt1.com
Wed Feb 13 18:32:10 MST 2008

Great work on the sustenuto

I have some info on fixed tabs from the turn of mid century.

Fixed tab sostenuto adjustment

Fixed tab sostenuto on the mid Steinways and Mason and Hamlins
according to those factory field technicians of the ‘50s, and ‘60s
were adjusted  in a slightly different manner than recently suggested.

The operation by the musician was expected to be that the sustain
pedal had no effect on the sostenuto, only the keys.

The adjustment in sequence:
1. Adjust the sostenuto to raise the dampers barely above the key lift.
2. Set the upstop rail to keep the dampers from rising further. In
some cases it may not be necessary to adjust the upstop higher than
the key lift if the upstop felt is sufficiently soft.
3. Set the sustain lift at just below the key lift so that no tabs
are caught by the sustain pedal.

This fully separates sostenuto activity from sustain activity and
makes possible sostenuto action to be the only action apparent in the
case that both sostenuto and sustain pedals are accidentally or
intentionally depressed at the same time

	I see little reason that the new moveable tabs can’t be adjusted on
a like manner.  There is literature which can be helped.

Daniel Gurnee RPT Retired HSU.