[CAUT] Sostenuto

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Feb 13 13:19:13 MST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Douglas Wood wrote:

> Today I have time to reply here. I'd like to suggest a quick set of
> tests to assess the sostenuto that have worked well for me. I was
> under the impression that this was what Kent asked about at the
> beginning.

My impression was that Kent was wanting to go beyond the standard
issue parameters, as one of his questions was whether there should be
a point before full engagement of the sost pedal where tabs might
cheat. Your checklist of tests is a good one, and well put, Doug. My
own responses have been a bit complicated and perhaps confusing,
because I think it is possible to evaluate in a more refined way, but
only with a somewhat different approach, which includes the way in
which one sets it up to begin with.
	It's not all that complicated to adjust the sostenuto rod itself: up/
down, in/out, and rest/full. What makes it complicated is that you
have to assume certain things about the damper adjustment (tabs in
line, degree of timing relative to the keys, upstop rail, etc). But
assuming you have the dampers set up within reasonable parameters, I
think that adjusting in/out visually, using a light shown directly on
the tab/rod intersection, is definitely the best place to begin. WIth
that very solid knowledge, you can proceed to adjust up/down, and the
tests I mentioned with the two pedals are a good way to do that on the
S&S (where you can't see up/down directly).
	I described use of the pedal in actual playing to try to give a
flavor for what the performer is experiencing. What I described isn't
really all that extreme. If one is using the sostenuto in passage
work, the norm is that one is creating "harmonic washes" where a
certain "pedal point" (the bass note(s) held by the pedal will be
succeeded by another. That succession has to happen seamlessly. This
is a big problem from a performer's point of view. One would really
prefer to release the sostenuto a wee bit ahead of the sustain, but
they have to be released simultaneously. Thus, you have this momentary
"stop in the action." With normal sustain pedaling, you can time your
pedaling to cross those harmonic divides very subtilely, holding the
sustain pedal until the next note has just been played, or whatever
precise timing you prefer. If you want to catch a new chord with the
sostenuto, you have to do a complete release of both pedals, play the
new chord, then depress sostenuto, then sustain. This takes time, but
it can't sound to the audience like it takes time. And there isn't a
lot of room to fudge.
	So, bottom line, to make it easier for the performer, you want the
sostenuto to catch as low/early as you can consistent with a safety
factor. Maybe it even catches before the hammer has quite hit the
string in a real time setup. The performer is going to cut it as close
as possible. At any rate, that is what I was trying to convey.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu