[CAUT] Caster noise - solved! 3 noises.

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Tue Feb 5 15:24:22 MST 2008

Jim,

Thanks for the report.

The lock ring problem (ferrel?) is one that comes up - as the piano is
rolled around, over time this ring seems to spin down and cause wobbling
as you found, which makes noise and could cause the caster to come loose
or jam.  A few drops of thin C/A glue on the threads should stop this
from happening, if you can get them in there.

The locking handle problem comes from people trying to unscrew the
handle too far.  I've never understood why people do this - the handle
should be snugged down to set the brake, and loosened to release the
break.  But some people turn the screw all the way out, then keep
turning it out, and cause the shaft to be forced up too far.  This can
also mess up the threads badly at the handle, as the locking hex screw
turns on the threads.

I can't remember if these are on the Shigeru Kawai EX.  If so, and they
continue to be a problem, let me know.

Don Mannino

  _____