[CAUT] sostenuto

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Feb 6 14:50:27 MST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Kent Swafford wrote:

> My tests of the sostenuto were in terms of actual function, that is,
> as a player. I can see that might not be sufficient.
>
> I had hoped someone might have an opinion on safety factor in the
> depression of the sostenuto pedal. How far could you let up on the
> sostenuto pedal and still expect tabs not to slide past on hard blows?
>
> Kent

	I guess I'd say you want to have to let up "a noticeable amount" on
the damper pedal before the tabs start to pop (ie, damper pedal down,
sostenuto pedal down, let up on damper pedal). That's a pretty wimpy
(imprecise) standard , and one you kind of have to work out on your
own. The problem is that this symptom (instant popping of tabs, as
opposed to however much gap) may reveal a combination of things: could
be the rod is away from the tabs too far, could be too high, and could
have not enough pedal play (not getting to horizontal), or just a bit
of two or all three of the above. But it definitely _is_ a good "one-
stop shopper" first step to see if you have problems. Then you go on
to find out what the problems are.
	I guess another wrinkle is to hold the sostenuto at not quite full,
and press the damper pedal fully, rapidly and see if some pass. Or
play every key hard, but that takes a lot more time and energy. Here,
of course, the position of the up-stop comes into play.
	All things considered, I prefer to go through the regimen I described
in my earlier post, as it gives me more information in a more
organized way. Bottom line: you need the rod in about as far as it can
go safely, you need it to rotate to horizontal, and you need good up/
down positioning. And you need to have set the stage with an even line
of tabs, good lift from the keys, and good upstop position. Ain't no
shortcuts <G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico