[CAUT] Tornado Damage at Union University

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 23:11:40 MST 2008

Dear College and Univ. Techs:

On Tuesday night, Jackson, TN was hit hard by a
tornado(s) with some of the most severe damage
occurring at the school I service, Union University.
Most of the dorms are destroyed.  No students lost
their lives and most injuries were minor.  Perhaps as
much as $20 million worth of damage was sustained
according to the Univ. president.
You may have seen some of the footage on national
television.

Part of the roof of the three-story music building was
torn off and water flooded down to the first floor
where the pianos were.  During the ordeal, I was away
in Oklahoma taking care of a parent who has suffered a
broken hip. As I came back into town today, I went by
the school to see if I could help with any thing.  One
of the profs gave me a tour of the dark and wet
building.  Our two Hamburg D's were in the recital
hall which flooded (not deeply).  They had rolled them
out into the hallway which was not as "wet". - I think
just the carpet is wet in the hall.   Both were
covered at the time of the tornado and water flooding.
 One cover was wet when they came to look at it this
morning. The humidity in the bldg. was extremely high
and they were going to have someone tomorrow working
on that because they are afraid mold will begin to
form.  Tonight the temp. will drop to 30 F and there
is no heat of course in the building.  I'll have to
look around more tomorrow.   I couldn't see anything
without a flashlight.
I had just begun my round of tunings for the new
semester.

Any suggestions will be appreciated for evaluating and
advising the music department.  I don't think that any
were directly rained on - they may have just gotten
very damp.  I'll find out more later. The main thing
is that these students and their families were blessed
that no one was killed by the storm as severe as it
was.

Hundreds of student and faculty cars were destroyed.

Gratefully,
Bob Hull

P.S. My family, home and shop which are about 5 miles
away were untouched.  In the shop are three nice
family heirloom grands of customers - two just about
to be restrung and one to be refinished.  But as long
as my family was protected, the other things don't
really matter.