[CAUT] sostenuto

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 7 07:31:25 MST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 3:54 PM, Kent Swafford wrote:

> You are mixing tests for some reason, Fred.
Yes, sorry about that. I was remembering back to your original post,
and responding a bit to it as well.
> Let me try to ask my question again.
>
> We think of sostenuto as being either on or off. But the mechanism
> doesn't work that way. A blade rotates up and down over a distance.
>
> Should we (and pianists) expect full function in the sostenuto when
> the blade is rotated down a bit from its maximum height? If so, how
> far?
Yes, a bit for comfort. This partly has to do with the speed one has
to use in passage work where one needs to change the notes caught.
Often this is a really rapid sequence:  play the notes to be caught
for the next harmony/raise both pedals/lower sostenuto pedal/lower
damper pedal/get the fingers to the next notes. All of this happening
in a small fraction of a second. So you want a "forgiveness factor" at
least for grabbing the damper tabs. Now, I'm not so sure you need as
much of one for "not having tabs pass," and the pianist should be
expected to keep the pedal fully down from that perspective. But I
think it amounts to the same, that in fact there will be some play in
the pedal where tabs won't pass if it is regulated so that you can
grab tabs in a somewhat large window.
	This is from a pianist's perspective, from the experience of having
movements where I do quite a lot of what I describe above. But I have
to add to this that all factors matter: how far up the damper has to
be before the sostenuto can grab it, how much the key has to depress
before the damper is raised, height and in/out position of the rod,
yadda, yadda. There is a relatively small window of what works well.
There is give, but only a little. It is possible to regulate a system
so that, from the technician's perspective, it works, but from the
pianist's perspective it is too unreliable. Of course, if you add
those old fixed tabs to the mix, there is an even smaller window.

> Or should we tell pianists, not to expect to be able to get full
> function from the sostenuto unless the pedal is fully depressed?
>
> And by full function, in this case, I mean the ability to play a
> double-forte blow without its tab becoming engaged by the sostenuto
> blade?
>
> Kent
>
> PS -- You say, "Or play every key hard, but that takes a lot more
> time and energy."
>
> And then you say, "Ain't no shortcuts."
>
> Exactly.  8^)  Play each of those keys hard!
Well, okay, but I have found that if I have visually inspected, have
the upstop rail right, and have done the other checking for height of
the rod, I  never have a problem with dampers passing. So it is
redundant for me. Might be a good final check to be sure I wasn't
asleep at the wheel, and might have missed the upstop or something, I
suppose.