[CAUT] Tornado Damage at Union University

Kenneth Eschete k-eschete at northwestern.edu
Thu Feb 7 07:36:26 MST 2008

Dear Bob,
Here are two suggestions, based on my experience with water damaged
pianos.  (A broken steam radiator on the 5th floor of our old music
building, flooded pianos on the 4 floors directly below.)

1.  Risk Management - Get in touch with the Risk Management Office at the
college and ask them what they want you to do in the way of a damage report
for the insurance claim.  They will be glad to hear from you.  Next, make
sure that they are agreeing to pay you for this examination and damage
report.  (Your exam fee plus time for research.)

The report should state that you have examined the pianos
yourself.  Itemize the pianos by serial number and College inventory
number.  State the damage to each one and an estimated expense for
repair.  (This estimate should include repairing things that are likely to
go wrong in the next few years due to this exposure to high humidity - wet
conditions.....not just the actual water damage.  Premature rusting of
strings, shrinkage of wool cloth, tight moving parts, rusting screws, etc.
is something that needs to be covered by this claim.)

You will also need to provide some idea of what the pianos are worth, how
much it would cost to replace them, and how much for restoration.  I can
help you ball park some figures if you need help.

2.  Recovery -  Action should be taken to prevent any further damage, but
museum conservators advise
against rapid drying of water-damaged objects.  Ideally, they should be
moved into a humidity controllable area, and the humidity should be
gradually reduced.  This might involve adding humidifiers to this room, and
holding the RH at 60%, then down to 50%, then down to 40%, over a period of
a few weeks.  Hide glue will reset, wool cloth will not shrink.  Rust may
appear, but this will likely happen anyway, and metal parts are more
treatable.  I've seen the results of attempts to dry pianos out with hair
dryers, and it really causes all those glue joints to fail, especially the
glue that is trying to hold shrinking wool.

Best of luck,

Ken Eschete
Northwestern University
Evanston, Illinois