[CAUT] Tornado Damage at Union University

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Feb 7 10:08:33 MST 2008

At 04:28 AM 2/7/2008, you wrote:
>One thing that could cause severe damage to the pianos is having the very
>high humidity raise the moisture content in the wood yesterday, and then
>having it freeze over night. I've worked on older pianos that went through
>freeze/thaw cycles like that, and in some cases the wood is extremely
>brittle.

Is some electrical power available?

How about hanging a heavy cover or blanket over each piano, with a
single 25 watt rod plugged in down near the floor, but not right next
to the board? It might be enough to keep the instrument from freezing
overnight, which I agree would be very bad.

Susan Kline
OSU, Oregon