[CAUT] pitch raises in practice room row...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Feb 7 14:48:59 MST 2008

> ...and the reason(s) for this phenomenon is/are what exactly? Â Ron N.
> has made compelling arguments in the past that it is not the string
> stretching over time. Â So what does that leave...wire bends? the
> bridge? the soundboard?
>
> Alan Eder

It's the bridge. Many times, I've found a unison I'd pulled up
a bit settling some as I tuned the other two strings. I found
I could get the same effect pulling up a single string,
settling it where I wanted it normally, and whacking it one
good one. It often dropped just a tad. The strings sometimes
render through the bridge fairly easily and quickly, sometimes
with great difficulty, and usually to some degree in between.
In the bottom half of the scale, this delayed drop doesn't
usually happen because the mass of the vibrating string
provides enough oomph (technical term) to pull the string
through immediately, I think. The pitch drop on "whack" thing
starts being noticeable somewhere above octave four as the
strings are getting too short and light to produce a really
big tsunami impulse wave that helps render the string through
the bridge on the attack. Pulling pitch up and coming back
later to tune gives the strings time to creep over the bridge
some, so they aren't doing it so much when you do the tuning.

That's my take, and the only thing I've thought of or heard
that makes sense to me.

Ron N