[CAUT] hammer line

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Fri Feb 15 11:09:04 MST 2008

You have my interest guys, with all this careful work.

However, what about the effects of uneven string-height on strike-line? A
capo cast or ground 3mm higher at one end is just as deadly as a gluing a
hammer on 3mm off line. And although a hammer offline by an 1/8th" (3mm)
would certainly catch your eye, a deviation in string height of 1/8" is not
all that uncommon.

(I'm needing at least one person to agree that missing strike by a mm would
have "at least" as much impact as a shank that is .2g off target weight! :>)

The only two factory scale designers I've discussed this with assert that
the strike point is the first line they draw, and that it is most certainly
"straight."

(my only other point of reference is a fairly vivid imagination, and I can't
"imagine" them drawing it any other way... can you?)

When the capo is curved, I've always believed (okay... assumed) that this
was a deliberate compensation designed around a straight strike-line, in
order to accommodate the arc and placement of the bridge, not to provide a
template for our hammer-line. (Correction welcomed)

In any case, I would want proof in the form of speaking length measurements
before going wavy with another hammer-line, having unglued/reglued my own
work onto "shortened" shanks more than once.

Question #1:

So, if the strike line you set "by-ear" ends up being a little crooked, and
uneven string height is the culprit, why not vary the bore-length?

A wise and valued supplier who I turn to for pre-hungs when things get
"bizzy," will not do this for me. His claim being that moving mass further
in/out on the arc will have more detriment than anything I'm trying to
correct.

(I trust his knowledge, but have to temper it with the reality that having
to graduate bore-lengths would also slow ($$$$) down his operation ;>)

Question #2:

So wouldn't moving the hammer in/out on the shank do exactly the same thing?

Question #3:

How does the Stanwood approach deal with moving the Sumo further in-out on
the see-saw?

Thanks all, I always appreciate your wisdom.

Mark Cramer,

Brandon University