[CAUT] Shank to Hammer weight spreadsheet

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Mon Feb 18 19:37:36 MST 2008

Hi Alan,

I will do my best to describe my method.  In making the shank show
its pitch my desire is to somewhat replicate the shank on the action
rail.  That means being as consistent as possible in the way I hold
the shank:  firmly on the flange hole just before the flange would
stop its contact with the rail.  This provides a dampening affect on
the flange, but allow the rest of the shank to show its pitch.   I
like to use a wood surface to moderately tap the hammer end of the
shank onto.  The same wood target or spot is used for all tapping.
As you tap the shank several times you find it always gives the same
pitch.  It takes some practice to make the same motion, but it feels
like an artistic movement.

The first run through sorting the entire set creates two groups:  low
and high.  The two groups are then sorted into two subgroups of low
and high creating four groups.  The four groups are then sorted into
eight groups.  Once you have them in eight groups of low to high the
individual shanks within each group are sequenced, low to high.   The
final test is to go through the entire set from low to high.  There
should be very few changes made.   Sorting this way really opens up
your ears for the final run through.

Tim Coates