[CAUT] hammer line

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Tue Feb 19 15:57:04 MST 2008

Hi Ric,

I think what he means, is if you add 3mm (for instance) to the bore of
hammers at some point along your strike line, the bulk of the hammer's mass
(the big felt part) is now further from the pivot point.

This has to affect MOI. As my good friend Stan Kroeker suggests, when you
move the weight up or down on an old metronome, it certainly seems to have a
measurable (predictable) effect on the speed.

The same would be true for curving the line by moving hammers further/closer
to the center-pin.

So, while I'm enjoying the exchange of good methods for measuring strike
weight, sorting, thinning shanks etc., I'm struggling with the concept of
sorting shanks over .1 gram difference, distributed who-knows-where along
it's length, but moving a 4-10g hammer in/out by several mm and not
accounting for it. (!?)

If I've missed this in the discussion, please (anyone) feel free to "tune me
in," either on, or off-list.

I'm in favor of the pursuit, but just need to know that we are aware of and
dealing with "all" the variables.

BTW Ric, thanks for the spreadsheet, it's a good working tool!

Best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University