[CAUT] strikeweight

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Wed Feb 20 07:17:10 MST 2008

Reducing the sides and making them oval as you find at the treble section of
most hammer sets. I just sort them by weight first because interestingly
often the channeled (sometimes referred to as tapered) ones that come form
the factory are heavier than the hex shanks. Abel and Wally Brooks sell a
set of all channeled (tapered) shanks and flanges for Hamburg Steinway
dimensions. I think that is the only commercially available set.
To channel you can use a belt sander, or a router or a table saw. Also Wally
will channel any set you buy for you if you don't want to do it yourself or
don't have the time.
 Anyway after channeling I sort by weight and think that this gives me the
best tonal result as afoundation for voicing and finding strike point. My
opinion is only empirically supported but I am working on shank pitch and
weight/density correlation.
Hope that helps sorry if I wasn't clear.
Chris