[CAUT] Shank Pitch

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Fri Feb 22 09:26:48 MST 2008

I have just been watching this thread, too.  The whole subject is new to me
and fascinating.  I have, like Norman, done a fair amount of reed organ
work.  This last bit gave me a thought.

Is it possible that thinning the sides of the shank would decrease mass and
thus raise the pitch, but have little effect on stiffness, since the bending
stress on a shank is mainly in the vertical plane, but maybe thinning the
top or bottom would decrease stiffness and lower the pitch?  I haven't tried
this.

Regards,
Ken Z.

--