[CAUT] steinway pedal lyre rebuild

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 2 00:54:05 MST 2008

I'm repairing a Steinway lyre.   The bottom box came loose, so I'm renewing everything while I'm at it...

I removed the hardwood wedges going into the post dowels that go into the bottom box and opened the slot.  I've noticed the post dowels don't have any glue on residue on them...were they not suppose to be glued in but held mechanically with the wedges?   Would roughing them up, scoring be advised?  I've cleaned it up enough to get the parts together for a dry fit.   I'm making new pads for the back of the pedals with front rail punchings and leather and gluing with a bottle cap...got a better way?

David Ilvedson, RPT

Pacifica, CA 94044