[CAUT] steinway pedal lyre rebuild

Thomas Seay t.seay at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 2 03:29:48 MST 2008

>I'm repairing a Steinway lyre.   The bottom box came loose, so I'm
>renewing everything while I'm at it...
>
>I removed the hardwood wedges going into the post dowels that go
>into the bottom box and opened the slot.  I've noticed the post
>dowels don't have any glue on residue on them...were they not
>suppose to be glued in but held mechanically with the wedges?
>Would roughing them up, scoring be advised?  I've cleaned it up
>enough to get the parts together for a dry fit.   I'm making
>new pads for the back of the pedals with front rail punchings and
>leather and gluing with a bottle cap...got a better way?
>

>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA 94044

Here is a method I have used for a long time:

Materials:

3 firm front rail punchings (or discs cut from firm backrail cloth)
3 pieces of thin fiberboard or veneer substrate, 35 mm X 35 mm (1 3/8")
3 pieces of backcheck leather or equivalent, 50 mm X 50 mm (2")
glue and brush
piece of 1x4
sliding bar clamps
razor blade or sharp knife

Method:

With a 1" Forstner bit, drill three holes in the 1x4, leaving enough
space between the holes for the cushions to fit side by side. Drill
the holes deeper than the thickness of the cushion. This will serve
as a caul for gluing and clamping the parts together.

Apply glue to the substrate along the outline of the felt disc, being
careful not to glue the disc to the substrate. You shouldn't have any
glue on the disc because it could become hard and make noise when the
pedal returns. Center the leather square directly over the hole and
center the disc on the leather. Carefully center the substrate over
the punching and leather, glue side down, and push the punching down
into the hole. Clamp the parts together and let them sit until they
are dry.

Remove the clamps, trim the leather to the substrate, and you're done.

Note: if you use veneer as your substrate, be sure to pre-drill holes
in the corners of the cushion before attempting to tack it in place,
to prevent the wood from splitting out.

--
Tom Seay, RPT
6701 North Park Drive